Physio or physiotherapists are the experts who have the skill and knowledge to use the various physical therapy methods to relieve the patient of their pain and other conditions associated with it. They go through training and acquire a degree to perform the physiotherapy. The responsibilities and roles of physiotherapist are to use the different methods other than drugs and medication for alleviating the pain.
|Vital Role Played by Physiotherapist|
With the growing need of physiotherapy in today’s age, the demand for the experts in this profession who can treat patients and assist them to do the various recommended exercises correctly has increased many folds. Physios can specialize in various aspects of healthcare; they can treat people with acute respiratory problems like asthma or chronic pulmonary diseases, people with chronic heart problem, sports related injury, accident related injury where immobility issue arises, orthopedic disease such as: chronic arthritis, spondylitis, neurological diseases and other such case where movement of a person is challenged due to health related reason.
Tasks of A Physio
A physiotherapist task involves:
- Physical examination of patients for diagnosis of the problems
- Interacting with doctors and nurses to design the recovery plan and its proper implementation
- Organizing physiotherapy sessions with the patients
- Educating patients on the various exercise movements so that they could carry them out independently when required in correct manner
- Advising patients to use various therapy devices to ease the pain
- Supervising special therapies including electrotherapy and hydrotherapy
- Monitoring progress of patients and writing reports
- Conducting massage sessions if required
- Help set-up physiotherapy equipment’s like traction, etc.
- Keeping themselves updated with the latest methods used in the treatment of the patient and also, keeping themselves up to date with the new advances in the physical treatment.
Fields Where Physiotherapists Are Employed
We get to see physiotherapists in various places now-a-days-
- They can work in hospitals and clinics of doctors. Some experienced physios operate independently in their own clinics
- Sports clubs and events. Many clubs and organizations employ physiotherapists to treat players with sports injuries one gets during practice sessions or matches
- Special schools like ones for disabled people employ services of physiotherapists to assist their patients
- Many community centers or charitable institutions employ physiotherapists to teach and educate people about various exercises and how to do them correctly. Many of the schools also have these periodic sessions with students where physiotherapists educate them on benefits of proper exercises
- Offices and companies also hire physios on weekly or monthly visits to educate and help their employees suffering from various pain related issues
- Old age homes and such institutions also seek help of these physiotherapist wherein they can guide these people what best can be done to keep them going at this age.
Education, Qualification and Skills
One has to get certified to be a professional physiotherapist. Certification courses are conducted from the respective medical council or healthcare body associated in that field.
The Various Skills a Physiotherapist Needs to Acquire Are:
- Good interpersonal skills. Since they deal with patients directly, they need to make them feel comfortable to make the sessions effective
- Good communication skills to make the patients/ caregivers understand the various exercises and educate them on the proper way to do it. They also need to communicate with nurses, doctors and patient’s relatives to understand patient’s condition and in turn make them understand the recovery plan
- Time management skills are essential as they need to deal with many patients per day and conducting sessions on time and effectively is required
- Good knowledge and experience. Every patient’s requirement is different and with time physios need to acquire the understanding and what treatment procedure suit them the best
- Patience and tolerance goes a long way in earning the goodwill and getting the job done effectively
Physiotherapy plays a vital role in recovery of in pain relief, if you would like to know more information about physiotherapist, then click here and get some more useful information.